Thursday, April 3, 2008

Beatlemania and 4 Irish Tenors



Yesterday was a day of Bransontastic fun. Sarah and I took the day off together and saw some shows. One rocked my socks off; I had an amazing time. Sarah and I sang and yelled - the Liverpool Legends are about the closest experience you can get to actually seeing the Beatles in concert. In several ways it might actually be a better experience than seeing a Beatles concert.. you know.. less hysteria and deafening screams.. more music. I'll never really know until there is a zombie reunion tour. The Liverpool Legends sing the songs and play the instruments - no lip syncing here. Killer concert. On that note though.. Sarah said something disturbing before the show. Imaging seeing a Nirvana tribute band at a theater when we're 64... that is about the equivalent experience most of the audience had. Anyways - see the Liverpool Legends if you love the Beatles.


The 4 Irish Tenors were another thing completely. We saw the 10AM show (go free tickets..woo). Technically they are called the 12 Irish Tenors but only 4 are actually from Ireland. Basically, if I joined the 16 French Saxophonists, it would be about the equivalent. Sarah's biggest complaint (and it has merit) is that maybe 2 of the singers were the same as the ones on the billboard. This would be a better sign (and possibly a better show). I must admit - they sang very well. Not much Irish.. mostly opera and show tunes..very choirboy.. but very well. They were entertaining.

To top off they day, we had dinner with Sarah's folks at a great upscale southwestern restaurant. That reminds me.. I have a doggy box in the fridge. SCORE! Really good food..then we went and got rental movies and crashed in bed. Not a bad day at all.

On today's fun with work activities: I toured the Sight and Sound Theater. I don't think I'll be interested much in the content of there performances, but I have to admit, I want to see the shows. The stage is huge. The theater is beautiful. And how could I pass up a show that has animatronic hippos? My critique of a show I haven't seen: apparently the Noah gives the Ark over to Christ. WTH?? I'm no theologian but that seems to miss the mark Biblically. If Yahweh shut the door to the Ark, that would have some scriptural precedence but Christ? Like a omnipresent, pre-physical manifestation spirit Christ? No angel? Weird huh? On the nifty front: apparently there is a Temple of Nod in the production. Eat your heart out Command and Conquer.

No comments: