Wednesday, February 27, 2008

And it's oh so good, and it's oh so fine.

Boom shaka lahka!!

-View Full Format -

Demo reel.. done.

Well.. for now that is. I've already started working on designs for 'Appliance Wars' robots. Oh crap! Maybe the war is my fault and I shouldn't work on these drawings... nah.. Dade has got my back.

Anyways.. demo reel. I'm feeling happy. Ooh.. the job I just interviewed for called me back to interview for a different position than the one I was hired for. Preemptive promotion..sweet. Hopefully, it is something that I want to do.

Now to just get a job as an animator - my goal is to achieve this by September. I want to make a couple more animations for my reel. My early idea was the zombie supermarket (which I really like), but there are quite a few things that I want in the animation that isn't really in that concept.

Lets see whats in store for phase epsilon of my demo reel:
  • I want to see action.. characters being physical - moving, fighting, rolling, jumping, or running. Something that really shows great body mechanics and timing.
  • I want to see weight.. characters lifting, throwing, catching, or carrying.
  • Character interaction!! Multiple characters on screen (most likely two..lets not get crazy..). This adds work but interaction without dialog makes for a good acting challenge
  • Detailed props and/or environments. I've been dressing my sets pretty light and simple. I can model out props just fine. It takes time away from the animation but definitely adds polish to a scene.
  • Planning - character sketches, storyboarding, animatics, diagrams. This is generally a loose process for me and I work a lot of things out in my head and while I'm animating. Not really the best method, so I want to clean up the process.
So I know what needs to be involved in the scene, but my options are widespread. Brainstorming and storyboarding is going to be important. Also, I'm not sure if I want to make and model my own characters or use my stock Animation Mentor models. Ohh..and if you're reading this and have any aspirations of becoming an animator, I highly recommend Animation Mentor.com. The curriculum is great and the teachers amazing. Despite not being able to finish my full term with them (life happens at the worst of times), I can say enough positive things about them.

I'm drawing now - having my drawing workspace set up next to my workstation is great. The negative side effect to all this creative productivity is that most of the home is still in boxes. A heroes work is never done.. and I'm busy too.

No comments: