Monday, February 25, 2008

Goblins R' Great


Sarah and I saw Spiderwick Chronicles today - it made me feel like a kid again. Faerie folk and bullfrog looking goblins.. fun stuff. The animation was incredibly well done and all the kids in the movie got hurt by goblins. I'm not sure why characters getting bloody in movies (see Harry Potter) makes me so satisfied but I think that an added sense of a peril comes from pain. At my core, I can relate to pain and blood but not necessarily being attacked by a horde of goblins. I really think the movie would have been better if it has less story and more faerie folk and goblin fighting..the film makers wanted everything to resolve nicely and in a timely manner. I'm not going to grip too much about a movie adaptation of young reader books (especially because I enjoyed it), but boy.. the main villain ogre (he had a name that isn't too rememberable) just wasn't cutting it in the villain department. Apparently he is evil, wants power, and killed some hobgoblins in the past. Not really doing anything for me as a monster.

In contrast, I love G'mork from the Neverending Story. He is a big, scary wolf, who stalks the film's hero Atreyu in the hopes of spreading oblivion. He is the servant of the Nothing.. the ultimate nihilist. Now there is a monster. If Voldemort had an evil wolf sidekick (oh wait.. he did.. kinda..) he would have been even greater.

Lots of rendering and compositing going on today. I'm digging this wide format. Things are coming along nicely.

1 comment:

Shadowfur said...

I Love Spiderwick. I remember all the charecters (however you spell that).

Ogre: Mulgrath
Boys: Jared and Simon
Girl: Mallory
Mom: Helen
Dad: Richard
Hobgoblin: Hogsqueal