Sunday, March 16, 2008

Ohh So Much!!

Wow.. so much to write and I want to get to sleep.

My parents came to visit this weekend and we had a grand ol' time. Ohh wait.. I don't want to talk about that yet.

More Pi

Thanks wikipedia for educating more about how amazing pi is. Get this: there is a collection of poems called Cadaeic Cadenza that corresponds to the digits of pi (well..not all of them..that poem would never end and take too long to read). I highly recommend the read - I attempted a small feat of pi poetry.. my results were rather dismal in comparison.


Fog

A Poem

I yearn leviathan to spread ahead
the dread creature appearing benefic
uncloaked she is the paradigm evil
always


My poor little poem corresponds to pi to 20 decimals (3.14159 26535 89793 23846). It makes for interesting language and is a fun mental exercise. Poetry is difficult enough without worrying about how many letters your words must contain. I haven't written a poem is years - try it out for yourself!

Moving on.



This is the first part of some sequential artwork inspired by Mike Libby's work at Insect Lab. Boy I love his sculptures.. I want to make some.

I'll finish the rest of the art tommarow hopefully. I need to come up with some stories before I start doing comics.

Back to parental visit: We went to watch Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede! yesterday. I think we all had a great time: we got stuffed on meat, got to watch horses, hear nice singing, and get an overwhelming dose of patriotism. My favorite part was the pig races and ostrich riding (thats right.. thats what I said). Good family fun show and food to boot. Now for some critique - if you, like many of my friends and sister, are vegetarian, you would have left the show hungry.. I think the mini corncob and potato wedge wouldn't have sated you. If you were Native American or First Nations people, you might have gotten somewhat offended about the neon painted white guy in a headdress chanting hey-yah hey-ya before summon a bird god. On a positive, the bird god flying dancer was quite a beautiful spectacle to watch. Good job! Splitting the audience in rival "North" and "South" groups is done to encourage audience participation -- I think it was done in a thoughtful manner and in the end Dolly informed us that we're all winners. (Except for the South.. they lost. you get Nascar and the Almond Brothers). Overall, I think it is a great show! Sadly, apparently at other Dixie shows, they have buffalo.. I love buffalo.. shucks :|

More Fun!!

Sarah and I had a grand scheme of seeing a double matinée of "Horton Hears a Who!" and "Penelope" - yahoo movies had different times listed than the Branson Imax however.. so we missed our showtime, at dinner at McFarlains (good food and prices... country home cooking - I had turkey dinner - *glee*), and then payed an exorbitantly large sum to see "Horton Hears a Who!" Blue Sky - cheers to you! I can't say how much I enjoyed that animation in the movie. Great job! (The crowd shots felt like some characters died.. a bit stiff & still..I can't complain though). The movie as a whole is a much bigger ball of wax. Horton is just symbolism layered on symbolism with a parable like quality that was almost overwhelming... really beating a dead horse by the end. I'm sure countless religious groups will be using it for their own ends (apparently Pro-life advocates have already making out the movie to be "Horton hears a fetus"..) the overall message seemed clear enough: be open-minded. I like that. On a stranger note, I had just watched the Messenger: Joan of Ark movie... lots of parallels between the movie that made me wish I could just enjoy the movie without thinking of everything else. I'll probably get the DVD. I love Seuss and Blue Sky. Again.. fantastic work. Cheers.

Time to sleep.

No comments: